Home » Water Systems Q & A » Has Anyone Ever Heard Of A ‘monarch’ Water Heater?

Has Anyone Ever Heard Of A ‘monarch’ Water Heater?

We bought a very old house. This water heater is square and looks like a washing machine or dryer… I have tried to find out about this water heater on the internet (web searches) and have been unable to find any data…..I would like to know when they were built…and if there was any reason for the unusual design….Thank You….

Related Articles:

Powered By DT Author Box

Written by admin

1. Comment by Corky R
    December 14, 2009 @ 3:51 am

They are not manufactured like that any more. I believe that company is out of business. I install and repair water heaters for a living and have replaced several of them with convential upright type units, but I have never seen any new units like them available anywhere.

2. Comment by Norm
    December 14, 2009 @ 5:57 am

We had one years ago. You are right – it looks like a dryer without the door.
    It was in a house we bought and started leaking so we replaced it.
    I am sorry I really don’t know any more about it.

3. Comment by al
    December 25, 2010 @ 12:29 pm

I have a Monarch hot water heater, we bought our house
    ( built around the 30’s ) in 1976 and have repaired it a few
    times. My hot water bill is between $10 to $15 dollors
    a month. If some one has one out there let me know.

4. Comment by laura almony
    May 1, 2011 @ 6:08 am

I do know where it came from and I am looking for one to buy….please contact me via e-mail or letter with a photo of unit.. 145 horizon trail, aberdeen nc 28315

5. Comment by ann
    March 10, 2012 @ 10:44 pm

My old house was built in the early 1940s but this square hot water heater is only about 20 years old. It has worked great until today. It does look exactly like a dryer without a door. I cant find any stickers on it with model numbers except 9726 and possibly an N from spindale, N.C. made in USA and something that said canada too. Wish I knew what is wrong with it. It is built into the kitchen cabinets so I do not know where I am going to have a new tall round one put in.

6. Comment by Jason Schultz
    May 15, 2012 @ 5:43 pm

Hey i do have a Monarch water heater, tho its not square like a dryer its stands upright and is round. i bought my house and part of the agreement was from them to replace water heater and furnece and they left old Monarch water heater in basment. if interested or want picture let me know jschultzfearthis@yahoo.com or @gmail.com!

7. Comment by Jason
    May 16, 2012 @ 10:33 am

i have an old vertical monarch water heater in basment!!!!! 7013000647 cell

8. Comment by AAS
    August 18, 2014 @ 12:04 pm

We have one. S# B5141….style 62G…..voltage 230….watts 2000 1250. Very large upright , silver. Made of metal. It is over 6 feet in height. Our house is very old. This water heater has been working for over 70 years! Only a day ago in 2014 had it stopped working. Alas ,no parts to be had….as I figured. I dreaded when the day came!

I will tell you why you cannot get parts . The company that made these made them very well.. too well. So they went out of business.

The reason WHY these last so long is because the heating element is not in the water but below and out of. Since , the basic water heater design was changed so they will burn out faster so the consumer must keep buying a water heater every so many years.

Sad really that we have such a throw a way society with no pride in producing quality products any longer. . It is all in the interest of more money.

9. Comment by AAS
    August 18, 2014 @ 12:19 pm

Let me add more detail I do not think my post was edited like I wanted!

The reason WHY these last so long is because the heating element is not in contact with the water, but instead it wraps inside around the tank itself. Since this design worked way too well, especially for those of us with wells , the modern design put the heating element IN the water , so they will purposely burn out faster! Thus the consumer must keep buying a water heater every so many years.

10. Comment by AAS
    August 21, 2014 @ 9:48 am

Great news! Our Monarch water heater works again and is running as good as ever! It was only a simple tweek. Found out also our house was built in 1921 so that is how old the water heater is.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URL