Home » Water Systems Q & A » Hot Water Heater Drain Faucet Leak?

Hot Water Heater Drain Faucet Leak?

What’s the best way to fix this leak? I’d rather not drain the unit and replace the faucet. Can I just put a brass hose cap on there? Its a decent hot water heater but the drain faucet looks to be very cheap plastic. Didn’t last more than 2 years. This is what I get for trying to be good and draining a little water out of there every few months.

Related Articles:

Powered By DT Author Box

Written by admin

  1. Comment by champ278
    October 25, 2009 @ 7:45 pm

    They make plastic hose caps for that valve, if you overtightened a brass cap you could be in hot water,lol. It will be perfectly secure, when you flush it, just release the pressure on the cap slowly. Of course you know a relief valve cannot be capped, I assume your talking about the bottom drain. Edit; drawing a ‘little’ water out every few months is only further clogging your heater and could be causing the problem. Flushing the heater is exactly that; connect a hose to a good drain, shut off the energy source, leave the valves open and let it rip.

  2. Comment by catersqu
    October 26, 2009 @ 12:52 am

    Wow myself I would drain and replace it with a quality new one, they are not spendy, and it is easy to do, get a hose and drain it down and replace… sorry I cant answer other wise, my gas hot water heater was doing the same, turned gas off pilot off and drained er down and replaced and no troubles… Good luck to you

  3. Comment by J.B.1972
    October 26, 2009 @ 1:15 am

    this faucet you re referring to is the overheat/overpressure drain valve,they do sell these,you don’t have to drain all the water from heater..turn off water going to heater or entire house if no shutoff is present,turn off electrical going to it-or gas,open this valve that’s leaking to relive pressure,replace it…next time you want to drain water from it,use the bottom drain…I drain water from mine once a year to stop buildup in it..

  4. Comment by Tech Dude
    October 26, 2009 @ 2:10 am

    The pressure at the drain valve will be the same as the pressure in the tank, which isn’t that high. A brass hose cap should be OK. Just be sure you leave the valve in the off position so you don’t have any surprises when you remove the cap.

  5. Comment by Joe K
    October 26, 2009 @ 4:44 am

    Draining it and putting on a new valve is the only way to do the job right. The brass cap on a plastic valve will not last long. Evenually the pressure will build up so high that it will break the entire faucet and then you will end up having to drain the water heater anyway AND you will have a big mess to clean up.

  6. Comment by Bill P
    October 26, 2009 @ 8:17 am

    If it’s only 2 years old, it should still be under warranty. Contact the manufacturer and/or the installer.

  7. Comment by badbill1
    October 26, 2009 @ 2:29 pm

    A cap should work. Just be careful removing the cap when you want to drain the rusty water. That built up pressure will spray water all over.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URL

Leave a comment